Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Christmas Present!


MINISTERIAL MUUSINGS!
December 8, 2011

The 1973 Christmas season was an exciting time in our household, for Fred III was learning to walk and talk. Since he was saying some words, I and others would naturally ask him what he wanted for Christmas - or what he wanted Santa Claus to bring him. And he would reply with some gibberish. As I listened more closely, I realized that it was the same gibberish each time we asked him. That meant that he definitely had something in mind. What was it that my dear little boy wanted? I could not figure it out. I asked others to listen and they could not understand either - though he said the same word or phrase each time.

When I was in the toy sections of the stores we were in, I would ask him again what he wanted - and even asked him to point to it. He looked around but did not point to anything. Needless to say, I felt my precious child was going to be very disappointed on Christmas morning when his anticipated gift was not there.

One day, while looking at a magazine, he started saying the jibberish word over and over again. I ran to see what it was. He was pointing to a box all wrapped up as a gift --- and saying "Preprin...Preprin..." ---

"Oh, a present," I said. "You want a present for Christmas." And he smiled and clapped for me finally getting it right! There was no special toy or piece of clothing that he wanted. He just wanted the joy of having a present and unwrapping it to see his surprise!

As we continue in this season of anticipation, may we also delight in the pleasure of the unknown!

Peace, Love, and Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment